Thursday, June 14, 2012

I pledge allegiance to queen fragg and her mighty state of hysteria

This is the article I read today for my "thing I learned." 

Mental Floss' twitter feed is one of the most enjoyable ways to kill a few minutes between meetings or when you need to clear your head at work.  I also read an article about why traffic lights are red and green.  Did you know that the first traffic light ever installed killed the worker operating it?

Anyway, that's kind of a tangent from today's original topic - the pledge of allegiance.  I knew that "under god" had been added later, but I had no idea that the idea stemmed from  the notion that getting flags in to American classrooms would boost sales.

For some reason, learning the pledge of allegiance makes me think of the 2nd grade.  I'm sure I learned it younger than that; don't they start it for kids in kindergarten? I liked memorization things, so I'm sure I liked the challenge of learning it.  I memorize random stuff all the time.  I have no recollection of saying the pledge in high school.  Either my school didn't do it or I just wasn't paying attention. (The latter is entirely possible.)

If you ask me now I have to say that the pledge of allegiance is stupid.  Do other countries make their kids swear to love their country?  Sounds very shady, like something Korea would have its citizens do. Not a free nation like the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment