Monday, June 4, 2012

June 4, 2012

Today I learned that I can see the listing for a Friends episode and know exactly which one it is and still want to watch it.

Which means I really didn't learn anything.

Actually that's not true.  I learned a lot from Caustic Soda. Today's podcast was about Science Blunders and the guest was Rosie Redfield.  Remember a few years ago when NASA said they found proof of a new form of life, to which a lot of people cried "Alien!?" It wasn't alien life, but something that scientists said was the closest to an alien life form that had ever been discovered, bacteria that creates its DNA using arsenic?  Turns out they were completely wrong.  All of the people who peer reviewed the paper were wrong.  And Science was wrong for publishing it.  Of course, I never would have remembered this happening if I hadn't been reminded by the podcast this morning.  But it was good to get an update and find out the real story.  

As of recording, and I guess "air" this morning her refutation of NASA's paper was in peer review itself, and today's blog says "accepted."  Congrats to Dr. Redfield.

PS- Caustic Soda is a great podcast if you decide to listen.  Weird topics, disgusting topics, foul topics and Canadian comic book nerds. The good kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment