Friday, June 8, 2012

Jurassic Park Fractal

June 8, 2012

Today I learned about fractals.  I should actually say that today I skimmed the upper surface of fractals. I listened to half of Chuck's and Josh's podcast on fractals and have a basic idea.  Prior to the podcast the only thing I knew about fractals was the picture that introduced each chapter of Jurassic Park.

The gist of what I learned is that fractals are mostly used to mathematically explain items from nature.  The coast, a fern, a mountaintop, etc.  Things that euclidean geometry doesn't fully explain/identify.

I think I need to do more research, or at least finish listening to SYSK, before I write anymore about fractals. Now at least if someone ever mentions them, and really who ever will, I'll know enough to keep my mouth shut and not say anything lest I prove my stupidity.

Give me an x, y, and a z axis any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment