Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Otters and gelatin

Yesterday I learned that otters hold hands while they're asleep in the water so they don't drift away from each other.  Cutest thing ever?  Yes. 



Today I learned that hooves are not actually used in gelatin.  They use animal bones, pig's hides and now even fish.  Using fish can help to overcome some of the religious prohibitions on gelatin items.  Good thing I'm not one of those religions because giving up candy corns and marshmallows would be hell.

The route that took me here was animal trivia-> horses hooves -> gelatin.  I've actually read 3 wikipedia articles to get to that fact, but  there you go.

I also found this "fact."

"Studies show that if a cat falls off the seventh floor of a building it has about thirty percent less chance of surviving than a cat that falls off the twentieth floor. It supposedly takes about eight floors for the cat to realize what is occurring, relax and correct itself. At about that height it hits maximum speed and when it hits the ground it's rib cage absorbs most of the impact."

How do they know? They can't test that!

No comments:

Post a Comment