Thursday, June 21, 2012

Dicipline

One thing I've learned is that it is very hard to post daily.  I'm quite impressed with anyone who is able to do it.  Either they have more free time than I do or they don't waste it like I do.

A few days ago I learned about the Streisand Effect. 

A photographer was documenting the coastline of California to look at the effects of erosion.  One of the photographs featured Barbara Streisand's beachfront home.  Streisand (or her lawyers) asked for it to be removed from the photographer's website.  Prior to them making a big deal and asking for it to be taken down, it had been downloaded 6 times, 2 of those times were by her lawyers.  Post the story breaking about this, it was downloaded over 400,000 in a month.

So now whenever acknowledging something causes it to blow up more (especially online) it's referred to as the Streisand Effect.  Where did I learn about this? Online.  I was reading something in an internet article and the comments section someone said, "haven't they ever heard of the Streisand Effect?"  I hadn't, so I went and looked it up.  Of course, now I have no idea what article I was reading, but I haven't forgotten what I learned.

Something I learned from running spellcheck on this post-

A) Google doesn't recognize Streisand
B) they want me to capitalize internet.

1 comment: